Main Logo for Providence College
Site Home> Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

We have a new home address.

How can we notify the College of this change? In order to change your address, your student can go to the Enrollment Services/Academic Records Office in Harkins Hall, room 310 to fill out a change of address form, or send an e-mail to requesting the address change. If your student has already filled out a FERPA release form, authorizing you access to his/her records, then you may send the request yourself. If you need further assistance, please call 401-865-2799.

May I have access to my student’s grades?

Under Providence College’s FERPA policy, confidential information from a student’s education record may be released to the parent (s) of the student, or any other designated individual, only with the written consent of the student. The student must have a RELEASE OF INFORMATION AUTHORIZATION FORM filed with the Office of Enrollment Services/Academic Records, Harkins Hall, 310 authorizing the parent access to academic information, academic standing, and/or financial information in order for information to be released. Please check the Confidentiality of Student Records sidebar on the Parents Program website or visit the Office of the Registrar.

How can my student learn about study abroad opportunities?

Information about study abroad can be found at the Center for Global Education. Students are also encouraged to attend a monthly information session held prior to the December 1 application deadline. To schedule an appointment with a staff member, students should e-mail

What assistance is available for students who may experience academic difficulty?

The Office of Academic Services (OAS) provides academic and developmental support for all students, with unique attention and support for students with disabilities and intercollegiate student-athletes. Examples of services include: tutorial and writing assistance, academic skills workshops, individualized academic mentoring, coordination of reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities, and specialized programs such as GRE/GMAT test preparation.

Where do I send a package to my student?

Please address parcels as:

Student’s Name
Friar Box #
Providence College
Providence, Rhode Island 02918

Are students allowed to have a car on campus?

Freshmen and sophomores are not allowed to have vehicles on campus. Juniors and Seniors who wish to have a car must apply for a parking permit with the Office of Public Safety. The parking application process can be viewed on the Public Safety Parking site.

What kinds of transportation services are available for students?

Free RIPTA Bus Service is available for students to travel throughout Rhode Island. Students simply need to show their Providence College ID to make use of this service.

A Shuttle Service is available for students for transportation between the campus and the surrounding neighborhood. A Community Service Shuttle is also available to students on a limited basis. Specific information about transportation options is available within the MyPC Portal at the Transportation Information website (available to all current students/faculty/staff only).

What can be done if my son/daughter is having a roommate problem?

If your student has a problem, first encourage him/her to talk with the roommate about the concern. Good communication can often help to resolve issues before they escalate to major problems. When dealing with roommate conflicts, is essential that students seek support from their Resident Assistants (RAs), who are trained in conflict mediation. In the event that the situation is not able to be resolved, the Director of Residence Life, along with the Hall Director, will meet with the student and discuss a room change and options, based on space available in campus housing. Although these situations are rare, students should know that they can always meet with the Office of Residence Life & Housing to discuss roommate concerns and room changes.

What are the hours of the Student Health Center?

The Student Health Center is open weekdays from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. during the academic year. Health services are suspended during Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and spring recesses. EMT’s are available 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Monday through Friday) and 24 hours on Saturday, Sunday, and holidays when the Health Center is closed. Specific information about the services of the Student Health Center can be viewed at the Student Health Center Web site.

How can my student find out about how to become involved with campus clubs and activities?

Involvement with student organizations and activities can significantly enhance your student’s collegiate experience. One of the best ways for students to learn about campus involvement opportunities is to attend the Fall and/or Spring Involvement Fairs. New students should also check out the description of clubs provided in the booklet given to them at orientation. For further information about how to get involved and what is available, students can visit the Student Activities & Cultural Programming Office in Slavin Center or view the office’s Web site.

If you have additional questions about campus life, check out our Student Life Parents FAQ site for answers to some of parents’ most common student life questions.